Monday, November 8, 2010

The Legend Lives On


In college we used to have an Edmund Fitzgerald memorial party every November 10th, a tradition my roommate and I continued for several years after graduation. While any excuse to have a party would have served equally well, for us yoopers, the Fitzgerald was our Titanic. But unlike the Titanic, the Fitzgerald came with a cool song. (I'm not counting anything by Celine Dion.)

My grandfather worked for a time on a Lake Superior ore carrier. A dangerous profession, for sure, but a relatively safe and important one considering World War 2 was raging.

I made a ringtone of The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald and it makes a good alarm clock song. It's been waking me up for a few weeks now. While looking for other covers of the song, I found this album. The sample clips are swapped between "The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald" and "You've Got a Friend". Stop laughing Pac, it's not funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment