Monday, November 15, 2010

Stone Mountain

I find geology fascinating. The idea that the continents have been careening around like bumper cars, forming oceans and mountains over billions of years boggles my brain and puts our individual microsecond on this earth in perspective.

Saturday we visited Stone Mountain, a large granite outcropping just east of the city. It was a beautiful day and we decided to get our Saturday exercise by climbing the mountain. It used to be a more strenuous climb for me back in my heavier days, but now it's a leisurely hike that I can easily make from the base to the summit without stopping to rest.

What made it more special was that it was the Jumping Bean's first climb with his new hip. He easily made it to the top, pausing only to snap photos on the way. Knowing such a hike would have been impossible for him a year ago, it was wonderful to see.


JB taking in the view of Atlanta from the top of
Stone Mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment