Friday, December 3, 2010

Misfits

After reconnecting with my old elementary and high school friends on Facebook, I've come to realize that I was perfectly okay losing touch with most of them. It's amazing how far apart we all drifted ideologically over the years.

But maybe, just maybe, there is an upside to reconnecting with them...



If it helps put things in perspective, this one popped up a few moments later...



It's obvious that Rudolph's underlying message of understanding, tolerance and respect -- even for those quite different from yourself -- is lost to some. To them it's just a cute story.

Or maybe, they just never had the opportunity to know how it feels to be a misfit.

I remember how much, at one time, I wanted to fit in with these people. How much I wanted them to like me. How they seemed to know even before I did that I was a "faggot".

Then again, maybe it's me who's finally grasping the true meaning of this story. What would I be?... where would I be?... who would I be if I "fit in" with these folks? I can tell you right now I certainly wouldn't have a Mexican husband. Thank God for unanswered prayers, right Garth?

How fortunate and truly thankful I am for the things that make me different. Thank you Rudolph! Hermey, you're amazing just the way you are. And Yukon Cornelius, I'll be woofing you later, you hot ginger git.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same. I never really connected with them way beck in elementary/high school, and even though we're "Friends" on Facebook, my life got along fine without them. Well, except for the one who became a fireman. He's just as hot as I remember from High School.

    ReplyDelete