Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A Brisk Rub-Down Leaves The Body Aglow

The holidays are officially over. Well, not yet, we still need to return the tree and decorations to storage. But I did just pay the American Express bill.

The big present for us this year was our new iMac. I bought JB yet another camera. But his gift to me was the best.

Several years ago I participated in my first and only eBay auction. I bought a single page from a 1917 National Geographic magazine. An advertisement for Ivory Soap by illustrator J.C. Lyendecker.

Many biographers have speculated on J. C. Leyendecker's sexuality, often attributing the apparent homoerotic aesthetic of his work to a homosexual identity. Without question, Leyendecker excelled at depicting male homosocial spaces (locker rooms, clubhouses, tailoring shops) and extraordinarily handsome young men in curious poses or exchanging inexplicable glances.

I'd read about this particular work on The Commercial Closet and when I saw the ad for sale on eBay, I couldn't resist. I was concerned it might be a reproduction, but it was obviously an original magazine page.

For almost ten years it sat in my filing cabinet. Imagine my surprise when I opened my present to find my ad beautifully framed. What a wonderful and thoughtful gift, which now hangs proudly in my bathroom.


2 comments:

  1. Hey, cool! This is going to make me want to pee at your house more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! First of all, unless you have a radical technique, you'll be facing the wrong way. Second, even if that weren't the case, it would take you at least four trips to read the entire thing.

    ReplyDelete