Thursday, January 6, 2011

Pac Fat

Withings WiFi Scale
After paying the American Express bill for our high-retail holiday, the last thing I need to do is to keep buying more gadgets. But this I just couldn't resist. I'm using the three pounds I gained over the holidays to justify the purchase to JB.

But my real motive is to help support JB in losing weight. My poor Jumping Bean is feeling miserable. I always say he looks great, and he does. But the fact of the matter is he's gained forty pounds since we first met.

The wakeup call came last week when I went to see my doctor. (Stevie B picks up plates in the gym, I pick up staph infections.) While I was there he told me how concerned he was with JB's weight gain and asked me to do what I can to help him. He understands it's difficult to help a loved one lose weight, especially if they're not motivated to do it for themselves. He said he's dealing with the same issue with his partner.

So, being the geek I am, I bought a connected scale. After setting it up last night, I have to say it's pretty darn cool. All we need to do is step on. Based on previous readings, the scale recognizes who's on it and wirelessly uploads his weight and body fat measurements. We can access our current and historical stats online or with an iPhone app.

While by default this information is secure and private, it's also possible to have the scale instantly tweet your weight to the world. I know, just because I can doesn't mean I should. But I am. Behold the new "Pac Fat" widget to the right.

I'm still deciding what my goal weight should be. I've been holding fairly steady at 200 for the past few years, but at that weight my BMI is considered "obese". I know that's bullshit, but it definitely won't hurt me to lose a few pounds while JB is working on getting his weight down.

No comments:

Post a Comment