Monday, February 21, 2011

Goodbye

I spoke these words Saturday, February 19, 2011.

My dad used to tell us he believed each person's heart had a specific number of heartbeats over his lifetime. That was his excuse for not exercising.

I learned so much from my dad as I grew up. I learned not to leave tools outside in the rain. I learned electricity is not a toy. I learned that little "check engine" light is not intended as my reminder to change the oil.

And by watching how he made sure my brothers and sister and I got everything we needed to start our independent lives, then how he took care of Mom when she got sick, I learned the meaning of devotion and sacrifice for the sake of love.

Thank you Dad. And thank all of you for being here to pay your respects.

3 comments:

  1. Long Time lurker. I am very sorry for your loss. Those were amazing words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a beautiful memorial. Nicely said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog. I just stumbled upon it and read the most recent 3-4 posts. I have to say I'm intrigued by your more recent posting about your history w/ Jeff and curious about who Joey is.

    Your posting about your father was very touching.

    I lived in ATL in the mid-90s and went back for the first time this past September (stayed at the W-Midtown). I don't mind saying your n'hood has changed so much I could not figure out which way was up. I do hope to get back down there again some time soon.

    Cheers,
    BosGuy

    ReplyDelete