Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Deep Fried

This weekend was the annual Atlanta Dogwood Festival at Piedmont Park. This meant swarms of people in the park using up all our already weak AT&T wireless signal. The event seems later than usual this year, as the dogwood blossoms peaked weeks ago. On my morning runs last week I watched as tents and amusements were set up.

On Saturday, JB and I walked out the front door of our building to merge into the stream of humanity flowing into the park. It was nice, sunny yet comfortably cool. We stopped for a while to watch the frisbee dogs perform. Well, their owners were performing, the dogs were simply following their training. But they did it with such natural joy that you can't help believe it's all they live for.

That same joy was mirrored in the faces of the little kids who rode the carousel and climbed inflatable slides. Despite a large colorful ferris wheel, the main attraction seemed to be the rows of trampolines above which children were safely suspended by bungee cords. While the kids squealed and leaped in slow-motion summersaults, the real amusement was had by the adults looking on. I can understand why there weren't Xboxes when I was a kid, but I can only blame the dearth of bungee trampolines on a lack of 1970's imagination.

Going into the final week of my Lenten diet, the time spent walking around the park was great but I could have gone without the aroma of carnival food. It seemed every other person walking toward me carried a funnel cake dusted with powdered sugar. And I didn't even want to guess how many calories might be in a deep-fried Snickers bar.

This morning when I ran, the tents and amusement rides were gone. All that was left where the echos of children's laughter and a couple greasy spots on the pavement.


6 comments:

  1. Deep fried pickles...?!? Really? Is that a southern thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. the calories in a fried Snickers bar could turn you into stone

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they had deep fried pickles at the Del Mar fair. That's not exactly Southern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if fried pickles are uniquely Southern, but I definitely noticed a fondness for deep fried vegetables of all sorts in Southern cuisine. (Okra, zucchini, squash, etc.) My first thought was a big pickle on a stick, like a corn dog. But they're sliced dill pickle chips battered and fried. Of course you can't have them without some sort of spicy dipping sauce, usually horserasdish.

    Time for my oatmeal. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooo, Piedmont Park! Home of Atlanta Pride!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not one for fried food (w/ the exception of french fries). None of my friends in ATL knew quite what to make of me... my dislike of BBQ and most fried foods really left them scratching their heads.

    However, I always enjoyed time in Piedmont Park. I would have loved to have gone to the Dogwood Festival.

    Congrats on being so dedicated this Lent... You can gorge starting tomorrow. Have a wonderful Easter.

    Cheers,
    BosGuy

    ReplyDelete