Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Funk

After hitting somewhat of a low point yesterday, this morning I'm committing myself to my new "funk extraction project". Interesting word, funk. It's fun to say; the monosyllabic fricative, vowel, plosive combination is vaguely dirty. Funk can have both positive and negative connotations. It can even be musical.

In this case, funk is a state of being. I'm not sure why I'm in a funk, but I'm tired of it. I'm all about visiting the dark side occasionally, as it's easier to appreciate the highs with some contrasting lows under my belt. It's that pitch black emptiness between 3 and 4 am which makes the dawn so amazing.

But like visiting family, I can only stay three days -- max -- before beginning the inevitable transition from "guest" to "get your feet off the coffee table, here's a list of chores."

It gives me incredible sympathy for those who don't have the option of turning their back on the darkness, facing the light, and taking a step forward.



I'm curious, how do you beat the blues? What do you do when you find yourself in a funk? As always, your comments are appreciated.

4 comments:

  1. Aw. Sorry you're in a funk, I've been there myself and let me tell you... it doesn't last forever. Soon you'll be back to a happy place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll stand virtually next to you every step of the way

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you're okay, my friend, and that things perk up for you. I go back to what made me happy as a kid to get out of my funk when it happens; toys, food, whatever it may be. If you need someone to talk to or vent at, you know where I am. Much love to you! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blues: I try to distract myself in order to forget that I have them. Doesn't always work, though.

    ReplyDelete