Monday, June 27, 2011

Gay Pactivist

I enjoyed watching the coverage of the New York State Senate vote Friday night to pass the Marriage Equality Act. It had the feeling of watching something historic, and was one of those few occasions which warranted the spontaneous opening of one of the champagne bottles stashed in the vegetable crisper.

You may have noticed I'm not much of a political activist. I used to be obsessively so, but that was back when I was freshly out of the closet and spent much of my time fretting about what other people thought of me. During that time I had friends and family members who obviously struggled adapting to the disruption of reality I selfishly interjected onto their conservative mindsets. I wanted to make it easier for them by assuring them I was perfectly normal and well-adjusted. Ironically, the harder I tried, the more obvious it became that I was neither.

I now recognize that period as my gay adolescence phase. I've since settled into a more pragmatic existence of living my life and conducting my relationships in a way that reflects my own values, not somebody else's. And in a way, I think that's my contribution to the cause. This is my activism.

1 comment:

  1. I've never been one to be an activist either. I just try to live my life quietly and on my own terms.

    And even though I realize gay marriage is important, I really don't care that much about it. Because I'm never getting married.

    ReplyDelete