Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Punch & Doody

I know, I'm a slacker. The last time I updated my blog I was starting an April photo-a-day challenge. That didn't last long. I guess I was sort of demotivated by Facebook's billion dollar acquisition of Instagram.

Facebook seems to have a knack for taking a good thing and strangling it with incremental "improvements" and advertising. I hold no hope that they'll not do the same to Instagram. Which is too bad, because I really like Instagram.

As my dear mother used to say, "they crapped in the punch bowl". She was always saying stuff like that. Thanks to her, that's the mental image I see whenever I hear "party pooper". I always assumed that's how the term party pooper originated, but now I'm not so sure.

Most definitions describe a party pooper as a person who attenuates the general enjoyment of a party by refusing, either actively or passively, to participate in the merriment of the occasion. A "Debbie Downer" if you will. But Mom's homespun aphorism offers an alternate definition:

I submit that party pooper can also refer to an individual or small group who has the ability (or predisposition) to diminish everyone's enjoyment of a good thing by failing to moderate their own enthusiasm for that very thing.

We all know party poopers like that. Maybe your friend with the low alcohol tolerance and matching self-esteem whom you hesitantly agree to introduce to your work colleague while praying this time she'll at least make it to his car before the projectile vomiting begins.

Or the uncle who firmly believes no pool party is too classy for skinny dipping -- especially not your High School Graduation/18th Birthday party -- even if he has to be the one to get the ball rolling with a hairy-ass cannonball.

The sister-in-law (make that ex-sister-in-law) who hikes up her wedding dress to literally kick some waiter ass for trying to serve wedding cake with salad forks.

An old school chum who you fondly remember never could control his indoor voice in frat house debates. But you never noticed his vaguely misogynist, slightly homophobic, explicitly right-wing opinions until he come to town on business and you introduced him to your current circle of friends.

Yes, we all know party poopers like that.



1 comment:

  1. The only "party pooping" I do is when I "upper deck" someone.

    ReplyDelete