Monday, July 23, 2012

Jesus Chicken

I was never a fan of Chick-fil-A. It's not something I grew up with in Upper Michigan and when I moved to Georgia, my coworkers called it "Jesus Chicken". This, of course, due to the outspoken religious views of the family that owns it. (Chick-fil-A is still a privately owned and operated company.) The most obvious manifestation of these religious views is the fact all Chick-fil-A restaurants are closed on Sunday. Less obvious is their support of organizations that work to limit the freedoms of millions of Americans.

I don't have a problem with anyone holding religious views and beliefs. In fact, I'm extremely grateful to this nation's founding fathers for ensuring our freedom to follow our own conscience in such matters. They had first-hand experience with the unfortunate fact that whenever a group held enough power, they tended to force their particular beliefs on others. Often with bloody results.

Much of my distaste for Christian fundamentalism stems from the willfully ignorant attempts made by many of these groups to subvert the context of the First Amendment with the goal of making theirs the established religion of the United States. I have no doubt that many of these people would jump at the chance to ban the writings of Thomas Jefferson on this subject. That would eliminate the chief adversary of their traitorous mission.

So I never ate at Chick-fil-A. While the owners have every right to enshrine their religious values in their privately run business, I have every right to conscientiously object by taking my business elsewhere. A company that closes its door to potential customers on mere principle obviously doesn't need my support. And I'm sure the good folks at Chick-fil-A would be the first to agree with me on that point.

You have to admit its kind of refreshing to see a fast food company actually go out of its way to remind its customers that they can easily do without their product. It just runs so counter to modern marketing techniques that aim to maximize revenue by attempting to instill an artificial consumer need.

Especially in this time of super-sized angst, I say bravo to Chick-fil-A for reminding one and all that their grease-boiled pigeons are the last thing that should be a part of any human's daily diet.

But how many people does Chick-fil-A employ, I wonder? I can't seem to find that stat on their web site. Because I figure you can take that number and divide by 6 to get an estimate of how many jobs this fine American company could add to the economy by serving customers on Sunday. Good, Christian jobs.

Even if it's a more conservative 10%, factoring in administrative personnel and reduced weekend sales in certain locations, that would still make a significant positive impact to the lives of thousands of Americans who are currently struggling.

Then again, if Chick-fil-A continues to foolishly alienate entire classes of its potential customer base, they may need to start closing down on Saturday too.



4 comments:

  1. I haven't eaten there in months... and now they will never have my business. I had a recent discussion about this with a gay coworker and he was disappointed because he likes their food. I said: "Seriously??"

    With the plethora of restaurants and fast-food joints this should not be a difficult decision. Don't give your money to the haters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never eaten at a Chick-Fil-A. I'm a KFC boy at heart, clogged arteries and all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've eaten at CFA thrice. Each time more disgusting than the last. Religious and political views aside, they make a shitty sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya know, I never thought of the whole Sunday/Jobs thing. Interesting. I ate there once about 2 decades ago. Seeing all the crazy religious propoganda on the drink cups made me avoid them. Haven't eaten at one since. I figure if I wanna kill myself with friend foods, I can eat at Sonic. :-O

    ReplyDelete