Monday, September 30, 2013

Really?

Ah, Fall.

While I do sometimes miss the brilliance of the Autumn foliage you see up north, Fall has become my favorite season since moving to the South. I think because I loved the Summers in Upper Michigan so much, Fall up there was nothing more than the abbreviated harbinger of Winter.

Down here though, Fall is different. The seasonal change signals the end of Summer's oppressive heat and humidity. The hazy skyline turns crystal clear and the Golden Hour begins to align with Happy Hour.

Even though I've never been a huge sports fan, the Friday night sounds of high-school marching bands stir something inside me. And every Saturday is made for watching college football, even if the games are just the background noise to conversations with friends.

The weather in Atlanta isn't always cooperative, but it seems you can rely on more perfect outdoor days in the Fall than in any other season. That's why I think moving Pride from June to October was a brilliant decision on the part of the Atlanta Pride Committee. While Pride is still two weekends out, the neighborhood bars and restaurants are already in the spirit, and rainbow bunting is everywhere.

Yesterday was spent with friends walking from pub to pub and enjoying their outdoor patios. When JB got out of the shower I surprised him by being dressed in my lederhosen. He asked, "You're not going out like that, are you?" Was that a dare? If it was, he lost.

As an introvert, I'm not usually comfortable being the center of attention, but yesterday I soaked it up. I only got one negative comment toward the end of the day when we stopped at one of the local gay bars. Some snooty queen looked me up and down and in a tone that dripped with contempt said, "Really?"

That became our catchphrase for the rest of the evening. Not just the word but the tone and inflection. My abs hurt from laughing.

Last night I put the lederhosen back in storage for another year. I'm hoping that the next time I put them on will be in Munich.



2 comments:

  1. Now you know how I feel when I wear my kilt out.
    It's fun, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No selfie of you out and about? LOL - enjoy the autumn and Atlanta Pride in a few weeks. Sorry I won't be able to come down this year.

    ReplyDelete