Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Departures

Sometimes the stars align and something for which you've given up hope becomes possible. And sometimes those alignments aren't always positive.

I'd written off the idea of going to Oktoberfest this year, mostly because of the expense, especially in light of the employment situation. But also because I couldn't consider leaving my old cat with a sitter for more than a day or two. He'd been going downhill since he lost his brother in February.

Even when JB picked up a Munich trip for opening weekend, it didn't make sense for me to tag along just to spend a single day on the Theresienwiese and come right home. Since there's a huge obnoxious music festival in the park by my house this weekend, I planed to stock up on food and beer and spend the weekend hunkered down with Emil. (The cat.)

But last week it became obvious Emil's old cat body was shutting down. On Saturday, after seventeen years together, we made the hard decision to euthanize him.

With Emil gone, I couldn't bear the idea of hunkering home alone all weekend. That's when my ex, Joe, suggested I come with him to Munich on Wednesday and fly back next week on JB's return flight. He even kindly offered to let me stay in his hotel room until JB gets there.

Which explains why I'm now sitting at an airport bar with an RSVP cruise gym bag stuffed with lederhosen.

Auf Wiedersehen.



4 comments:

  1. Sorry to read about Emil, and I know how difficult euthanizing a beloved pet can be. Enjoy your time at Oktoberfest and drink one in Emil's honor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your loss (btw, my great-grandfather's name was Emil). I still haven't cried for my father's passing, but have cried far too often over my no deceased cats. Getting out of the house and country is a good thing for distraction. Try to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really sorry to read about Emil's passing. I hope you are ok. And I hope you tip a stein to his memory

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry about Emil's passing too, but I hope that you will be posting a pic or two of you in Germany.

    ReplyDelete