Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Ignorance Was Bliss

"Abner! 115 is throwing construction debris
in the dumpster again!"
It's been a year now since I've been working full time from home. During this time I've gotten much more familiar with the comings and going of my neighbors than I care to admit. I work facing the window looking down onto our condominium courtyard, and I fear I'm gaining a reputation as the resident Gladys Kravits.

I'm not on our Home Owners Association board, but I may as well be. The board members know they can call on me during the day when the cable guy needs letting in or someone reports a gas leak. As new residents move in, they get the mistaken impression our building has concierge service and they've taken to calling me day and night.

I don't mind helping out, I really don't. The only problem I'm facing with being more active in our HOA is this... the knowledge. I was much happier living here before I knew so much about my neighbors.

My philosophy of harmonious community life has alway been simple: obey the Golden Rule. The problem comes when you realize some people look at the Golden Rule as a sucker's bet. Their philosophy seems to be "See how much I can get away with before someone says something, then continuously test those boundaries."

I don't enjoy sticking my nose into other people's business. In fact, confrontation comes about as naturally to me as cunnilingus. I know plenty of people that seem to get off telling other people what to do. The problem is those are usually the kind of people we don't want on our HOA board.

Now a lot of my neighbors are great. But sometimes it's the nice neighbors who disappoint me the most. Like the sweet couple who moved into 371 nine months ago and have yet to make a single dues payment. Or the elderly widow in 188 whose hoarding puts her in constant avalanche danger.

Or the friend I helped vote to the board because I respected her integrity who is now using her position of authority to flout the bylaws for her own selfish interests.

As much as it repulses me, looks like I'm going to have to hold my nose and dive in.




2 comments:

  1. The curtains always appear drawn to the cat playground so how do you see the nudist on the corner across the way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'confrontation comes about as naturally to me as cunnilingus' So, a daily occurrence?

    ReplyDelete